October 15, 2009

perfect girls, perfect shoes

Oh, Keds. Keds. Keds. The memories of you still so strong after twenty years. It was an all out obsession. Not just me, not just my little southern California school, but apparently 'cross state lines. My pal, dearKatie from Austin, TX has confirmed this, "I did have a pair of the classic white lace ups. But they were filthy after like, a day. But my friend Mary Harry* always seemed to have a fresh pair. I'm sure she just washed them like a normal person." Of course this left me with visions of a certain (snotty) girl in my junior high who actually did not RUN for fear of bending her shoe at the toe, and seperating rubber and canvas. But when she DID run, like in P.E., she ran with straight legs and a prissy, pained look on her face. It was a sight. (Although I of course tortured myself for not being as controlled and perfect as said (snotty) girl.)

Sigh.

So, why do I bring this up you ask? Well, Keds are back. Well, have been. I vaguely remember some teen TV star sporting some in my InStyle magazine some years ago. But, now they're back in a far more exciting way... they're going green. Or at least somewhat. And, the design below makes me want to melt. Or squeel. Or run straight-legged and prissy-faced on the nearest blacktop.

I (heart) you, Keds. And thanks for sharing all about Keds, dearKatie.

* Name changed to protect the innocent.