February 22, 2010

the five year gestation

A few years ago, while in an acting apprenticeship I took a workshop by some pretty badass folks who basically had us write about ourselves. Just about us. It was the starting point for our art. When it came time to put this collective piece into performance 3 of the 7 pieces were something I'd written (and there were over 20 of us in the workshop). The badass husband of this husband/wife led company pulled me aside and urged me to keep writing. But in my case, he wanted things to stay close to the vest. To my sheltered heart. Write only about what I knew.

I've thought about what he said often. Always felt it's presence top on my "I should" list. And there is so much to write about, honestly. For better or for worse my life is peppered with experiences most people can't even comprehend. I'm often told a story from a-day-in-my-life often sound like the stuff movies are made of. (every time I hear this, by the way, it just makes me feel like an effing loser for not having written the damn thing yet. so please, refrain.)

So, I'm going to give this a try... 5 years and many experiences later. Shit might get serious here. Forgive me.