July 19, 2010

my surpirse

A few weeks ago Nick mentioned a surprise for my birthday. I knew the date and time, but nothing further. For days I tried in vain not to guess. (I have a wild imagination and am, hence, a good guesser. My only recourse? Not to think at all.)

Finally late last week I ran across a listing for the Gypsy Kings at The Greek Theatre. What a delight that would be. A few days later a friend emailed a group about joining them at The Hollywood Bowl for The Swell Season, She & Him, and The Bird and The Bee. My heart fluttered at the thought. Surely my husband knew me well enough to buy these tickets (!) I wrote her back declining, but explaining that maybe (just maybe) I'd be there, too...

Finally Sunday arrived. After my morning at the LA Flea Market, I came home to found a husband prepared with backpack, cooler, wine, beer, blanket, delicious feast and walking shoes for our Metro adventure to the (still) undisclosed location.

As we boarded the Gold Line in Pasadena headed for Union Station he asked me if I wanted to guess our final destination. I thought about guessing wrong once or twice for good measure, but apparently I'm just too selfish for such an act of love. When he confirmed my suspicions my heart REALLY started to flutter. And as we sat there chatting on the train, feast in hand, adventure ahead of us I felt a wave of love and thanks wash over me knowing that I've married just the right someone...

Needless to say it was an AMAZING evening. All my favorite foods, a bottle of my favorite wine, my favorite man, and one of my favorite bands*... And who did we find seated almost directly behind us as we shimmied through the row to our seats? The very same friends who invited us there days before.

{ image of the Bowl as the sun set behind us... *The Bird and The Bee filling our ears & souls }